Tuesday 22 July 2014

Mardam (Kanuri Kunu)

      


Mardam is a Kunu drink made from pearl millet (gero) and is mostly loved by Kanuris. Apart from its delicious taste, it has a high nutritional value.


Ingredients:

Ground millet- 4 cups
Nono (sour milk) - 4 cups
Water- 2 cups
Sugar- 4 cups
Millet grains- 1 cup
Rice grains- 1 cup
Ginger powder- 2tbsp


Direction:

Sieve the ground millet and strain the nono (sour milk), mix together with sugar and water, add the ginger, seperate into two equal parts and keep aside.


 Put 6 litres of water to boil, add the rice and millet grains and allow to cook until tender ( but I prefer mine half done because I like the chewy texture). Turn off the heat and pour into half of the paste, stir and slowly incorporate the other half. Stir and serve.

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to try this, my parents love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it necessary to add the rice....I've taken it before but there was no rice

    ReplyDelete